Click on the title of any bill for further information from the Legislative Counsel of California.
Bills Sponsored by the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board (VCGCB)
SB 207 (Kehoe) ― State Claims
The VCGCB's first Government Claims Bill of 2011, which appropriates $557,729.29 to pay claims approved by the Board from June 2010 through November 2010.
Status: Signed on 8/31/11 (Chapter 198, Statutes of 2011)
AB 139 (Fuentes) ― State Claims
The VCGCB's second Government Claims Bill of 2011, which appropriates $3,009,627.04 to pay claims approved by the Board from December 2010 through May 2011. It also appropriates $162,700.00 to pay the erroneous conviction claim of Robert Cuevas.
Status: Signed on 8/31/11 (Chapter 194, Statutes of 2011)
Other Bills Affecting the VCGCB
AB 109 (Committee on Budget) ― Criminal Justice Alignment
This bill realigns California’s criminal justice system by shifting certain low level offenders, adult parolees, and juvenile offenders from state to local jurisdiction.
Status: Signed on 4/4/11 (Chapter 15, Statutes of 2011)
AB 119 (Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review) – State Government
This budget trailer bill on state government includes language which affects VCGCB’s Government Claims Program. The provision repeals a recently enacted statute (SB 80, Chapter 11, Statutes of 2011) which had required VCGCB to notify the Legislature prior to approving certain high dollar claims.
Status: Signed on 6/28/11 (Chapter 31, Statutes of 2011)
AB 898 (Alejo) ― Crime Victims: Restitution: Fines
This bill increases the minimum amounts for restitution fines imposed on convicted defendants by 50 percent over a three-year period. The minimum fine for felony convictions increases from $200.00 to $240.00 in 2012, and increases further to $280.00 in 2013 and $300.00 in 2014. The minimum fine for felonies increases from $100.00 to $120.00 in 2012, and increases further to $140.00 in 2013 and $150.00 in 2014.
Status: Signed on 9/29/11 (Chapter 358, Statutes of 2011)
Bills Regarding Victim Rights and Services
- AB 12 (Swanson) ― Abolition of Child Commerce, Exploitation, and Sexual Slavery Act of 2011
- AB 90 (Swanson) ― Human Trafficking: Minors
- AB 588 (V. Manuel Pérez) ― Tenancy: Victims of Domestic Violence
- AB 717 (Ammiano) ― Child Abuse Central Index
- AB 764 (Swanson) ― Personal Income Taxes: Voluntary Contributions: Victim-Witness Assistance Fund
- AB 886 (Cook) ― Victim’s Rights: Victim Impact Statement
- SB 208 (Alquist) ― Restitution: Crimes: Identity Theft
- SB 534 (Corbett) ― Victims of Sexual Assault
- SB 557 (Kehoe) ― Family Justice Centers
- SB 718 (Vargas) ― Elder Abuse: Mandated Reporting
- SB 723 (Pavley) ― Restraining Orders
- SB 852 (Harman) ― Corrections: Victim Notification