Click on the title of any bill for further information from the Legislative Counsel of California.
Bills Sponsored by the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board (VCGCB)
AB 235 (Gatto) — State Claims
VCGCB's first Government Claims Bill of 2013, which will appropriate $1,080,580.70 to pay 343 claims approved by the Board from May 2012 through December 2012.
Signed by the Governor (Chapter 122, Statutes of 2013)
SB 369 (De Leon) — State Claims
VCGCB's second Government Claims Bill of 2013, which appropriates $414,054.01 to pay 155 claims approved by the Board from January 2013 through April 2013.
Signed by the Governor (Chapter 314, Statutes of 2013)
Other Bills Affecting the VCGCB
SB 60 (Wright) — Crime Victims: Human Trafficking
This bill expands eligibility for the Victim Compensation Program by adding victims of human trafficking to those eligible for compensation when only emotional injury has occurred.
Signed by the Governor (Chapter 147, Statutes of 2013)
SB 71 (Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review) — State Government
This Budget Trailer Bill requires VCGCB to administer a program to award up to $2 million in grants per year to trauma recovery centers that provide victim services. The Budget Act of 2013 appropriates $2 million from the Restitution Fund for purposes of this grant program.
Signed by the Governor (Chapter 28, Statutes of 2013)
SB 618 (Leno) — Wrongful Convictions
This bill makes changes to the process by which VCGCB considers claims for the compensation of erroneously convicted individuals of $100.00 per day of incarceration. The provisions include setting timeframes for the consideration of a claim, removing the requirement that claimants prove they did not contribute to their own arrests or convictions, requiring a recommendation to pay without a hearing when a court has made specified findings on innocence, and changes to conform to public safety realignment.
Signed by the Governor (Chapter 800, Statutes of 2013)
SB 384 (Gaines) — California Memorial Scholarship Program
This bill reopens eligibility for the California Memorial Scholarship Program and requires VCGCB to identify all persons who are eligible for scholarships and to notify them of their eligibility by July 1, 2014. It requires that eligible participants execute participation agreements by July 1, 2015.
SB 496 (Wright) — Improper Governmental Activity: Disclosure: Protection
Among other provisions related to the Whistleblower Protection Act, this bill exempts an action seeking damages under the Act from the requirement to present a Government Claim.
Signed by the Governor (Chapter 781, Statutes of 2013)
Bills Affecting Victims' Rights and Services
- AB 16 (Perez) — Domestic violence: corporal injury
- AB 20 (Waldron) — Obscene matter: minors
- AB 65 (Achadjian) — Crimes: sex crimes
- AB 139 (Holden) — Domestic violence: fees
- AB 157 (Campos) — Protective orders: credibly impersonating and falsely personating
- AB 161 (Campos) — Restraining orders
- AB 176 (Campos) — Family law: protective and restraining orders
- AB 238 (Gomez) — Protective and restraining orders: computer database system
- AB 307 (Campos) — Protective orders
- AB 602 (Yamada) — Mentally and developmentally disabled persons: reporting abuse: peace officer training
- AB 681 (Melendez) — Spousal support
- AB 694 (Bloom) — Admissibility of evidence: victims of human trafficking
- AB 849 (Garcia) — Protection of victims: address confidentiality
- AB 934 (Cooley) — Local agencies: unclaimed money
- AB 1195 (Eggman) — Public records: crime victims
- SB 59 (Evans) — Crimes: sex crimes
- SB 107 (Corbett) — Sexual assault: victim medical evidentiary examination
- SB 114 (Pavley) — Commercially sexually exploited minors
- SB 130 (Corbett) — Witnesses
- SB 288 (Lieu) — Employment protections: time off
- SB 400 (Jackson) — Employment protections: victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking
- SB 602 (Committee on Human Services) — Child abuse prevention, intervention, and treatment projects
- SB 612 (Leno) — Residential tenancy: victims of human trafficking and elder or dependent adult abuse
- SB 651 (Pavley) — Developmental centers and state hospitals