Frequently Asked Questions About Payments

How do I find out if my patient or client has an eligible claim with the compensation program?

Use our status request form. If you have additional questions, call the Helpline toll-free at 1-800-777-9229.

How do I submit bills?

Mental health and medical related bills should be submitted on the proper CMS form (formerly HCFA). The two most common CMS forms are the 1450 (UB 92) and the 1500. The CMS 1450 is used for in-patient hospitalization. The CMS 1500 is for mental health and out-patient medical charges. Dental bills can be submitted on any standard dental form as long as the necessary billing information is provided.

On all your billing be sure to specify:

Where do I submit bills?

If a local Victim/Witness office is working on the claim, submit the bill directly to that office. If the claim is being processed by the Board's central office, submit the billing to the Victim Compensation Board, PO Box 3036, Sacramento, CA 95812-3036. If you are unsure where you should submit the bill, call the CalVCB Helpline at 1-800-777-9229.

How quickly will my bill be paid?

Payment is usually made within 30–90 days from receipt of your bill. If your bill has not been paid within 90 days, there may be several reasons for a delay, including, but not limited to: other available sources of payment; a problem with the eligibility of the claim; or difficulty verifying some of the information.

How can I check on the status of my payment?

Use our status request form. If you have additional questions, call the Helpline toll-free at 1-800-777-9229.

How can I change my address with the compensation program?

Fax us a statement telling us you have a new address. Include the date the change is effective as well as your federal tax identification number (FEIN or SSN), old address, new address, phone number, and your signature and a copy of your W9. The information on your W9 must exactly match the information provided to the IRS in order for us to update our database and process payments. You can fax the statement to the Board's Helpline staff at (916) 491-6417.

What do I do if I receive a payment that should have gone to a different provider?

If you receive a warrant that should have been issued to another provider, please do not cash it or sign it over to someone else. Return it to us at:

Attn: Accounting
Victim Compensation Board
PO Box 1348
Sacramento, CA 95812

Include a brief statement about why you are returning the warrant. Include your name and federal tax identification number (FEIN or SSN). If you know who the correct payee should be, please include their name and tax identification number also. Once the warrant is received, we will credit your account to ensure your 1099 will be correct at the end of the year. We will re-issue the warrant to the correct payee.

This payment was denied. Can you tell me why?

Call the Helpline toll-free at 1-800-777-9229. If the information is in the system, a customer service representative can look it up. Otherwise, Helpline staff will direct you to the claims specialist assigned to that claim. Some reasons a payment may be denied include:

Why wasn't I notified that the claim was denied?

The Board only notifies the claimant when a claim is denied. If bills have been submitted to the Program before a claim has been denied, it is up to the claimant to let you know if the Board will not pay a bill.

However, if you submit a bill for a claim that has already been denied, you will receive a letter notifying you that the bill was denied.

Can I appeal a denial?

No, but the claimant (your patient or client) can appeal. You may help the claimant prepare an appeal.

Can I appeal a reduced payment?

You may appeal a reduced payment if the reduction is because of our medical rates. Your questions about the rates must be in writing. Information on the warrant remittance attached to the warrant directs you to contact our bill review service at:

Bill Reduction Questions
Intelligent Medical Solutions, Inc., CalVCB
1 Spectrum Pointe Drive, Suite 140
Lake Forest, CA 92630
or call (949) 465-7080 or fax us at (949) 465-7089

The claimant (your patient or client) must appeal bills reduced for other reasons. You may help the claimant prepare an appeal.