CalVCB FAQ: Eligibility

What is the Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB)?

The California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) can help victims of violent crime and their families deal with the emotional, physical, and financial aftermath of crime. Victims can apply for compensation by filing an application with CalVCB.

Who is eligible for compensation?

To be eligible for compensation, a person must be a victim of a qualifying crime involving physical injury, threat of physical injury or death. For certain crimes, emotional injury alone is all that needs to be shown. Certain family members or other loved ones who suffer an economic loss resulting from an injury to, or death of, a victim of a crime may also be eligible for compensation.

Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements. The victim must:

People in the following categories are generally eligible for compensation. If you are not sure whether or not you might qualify, please contact us at 1-800-777-9229 or

Applications may be filed by:

Who is not eligible?

What are examples of crimes that are typically covered?

What if I’m involved in a crime outside of California?

Victims who have incurred expenses due to a crime outside of California should file an application with that state, unless the offender is prosecuted in California (for example, for internet crimes). CalVCB may also be able to help with out-of-state crimes if the victim was a California resident at the time of the crime. Other states' compensation programs are considered a reimbursement source and CalVCB will verify that you filed a claim in the state where the crime occurred. For a listing of state compensation programs, visit the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards' website at

What if I need financial assistance right away?

Victims can request an emergency award in certain situations. Emergency awards are made based on substantial hardship and the immediate need for payment. Emergency awards are most often obtained to cover relocation or funeral/burial expenses. You must indicate this on your application in the emergency award section.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions