CalVCP FAQ — Laws and Information

Do applicants have the right to appeal?

An applicant has a right to file an appeal if a claim is recommended for denial, or if any part of the claim is recommended for denial. An appeal must be filed within 45 days of the date the Board mailed the notice to deny the claim and/or expense. In some cases, if new information is provided, the denial may be reconsidered immediately. Otherwise, most appeals are scheduled for a hearing before a Hearing Officer. This hearing will give the applicant the opportunity to present information supporting the claim. Hearings are not held to contest the denial of an emergency award.

If the applicant does not agree with the outcome of the Board's final decision, a Petition for a Writ of Mandate may be filed in the Superior Court.

What California laws govern the compensation program?

Government Code sections 13950–13969.7 govern the California law that allows victims of crime to receive payments from the Restitution Fund for unreimbursed losses that are necessary due to a crime. The Restitution Fund is CalVCP's primary funding source and it receives monies collected through fines and penalties imposed by judges upon persons convicted of crimes and traffic offenses in California.

How can I get more information?

For more information regarding the Victim Compensation Program, contact us toll-free at 1-800-777-9229 or call your local Victim/Witness Assistance Center.

You can also contact us at

You can write to us at:

California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board
P.O. Box 3036
Sacramento, CA 95812-3036

Return to Frequently Asked Questions