Billing & Payments

The Victim Compensation Board is the Payer of Last Resort

The California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) is considered the payer of last resort and can only pay treatment expenses after other available sources of payment have been applied to a bill. Those sources include, but are not limited to, health insurance, workers compensation insurance, automobile insurance, Medi-cal, and Medicare.

Contact Our Customer Service Section Regarding the Status of Billing and Payments

To see the status of bills on applications that have been submitted to CalVCB, please login to CalVCB Online: and navigate to Application Search or Bill Search tab. If you do not have a CalVCB Online account, please call our customer service representatives at (800) 777-9229 from 8: 00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for assistance on creating an account.

Provider Ombudsman

Any healthcare provider that has questions about serving victims of crime, payments or other issues should contact our Provider Ombudsman at

CalVCB Cannot Pay Expenses More Than Three Years Old

Under most circumstances, CalVCB cannot pay a bill that is more than three years old. If you are considering submitting an expense that is more than three years old, contact the Customer Service Section at (800) 777-9229 for more information.

CalVCB Cannot Reimburse Violent Felons or Registered Sex Offenders

CalVCB cannot pay any expenses incurred while a person is on parole, probation or post-release community supervision for a violent felony; incarcerated or required to register as a sex offender. This does not affect an application’s eligibility. It instead stops payment for expenses that are incurred during incarceration and felon or registered sex offender status.

Maximum Amount for CalVCB Benefits

As of January 1, 2017, the maximum reimbursement per claim, including dental, medical and mental health treatment expenses, is $70,000.00.*

*Certain individual benefits have individual limits.

Payment in Full

CalVCB typically applies a fee schedule when paying medical expenses. A provider who cashes a warrant for payment from the California Victim Compensation Board for a service accepts CalVCB's rates as payment in full and cannot bill a claimant any more for that service. Government Code § 13957.2(a)

Each warrant sent to a provider has a notice printed on it that explains this statutory provision. If you receive a warrant and disagree with the amount of payment, please follow the instructions printed on the warrant or call the Customer Service Section at (800) 777-9229 for more information before you cash the warrant.

However, if CalVCB is paying a reduced rate because treatment is only partly related to the crime, the patient is liable for the amount of the bill deemed not related to the crime. For example, when counseling is only 50 percent related to the qualifying crime and 50 percent due to other life circumstances, CalVCB can only pay 50 percent of the cost of treatment. This percentage is paid at the CalVCB approved rates. In this case, the patient is responsible for the other 50% of the bill.

Where Do I Submit Bills?

If a local Victim/Witness office is working on the claim, submit the bill directly to that office. If the claim is being processed by CalVCB's central office, submit the billing to the Victim Compensation Board, P.O. Box 3036, Sacramento, CA 95812-3036. If you are unsure where you should submit the bill, call CalVCB Customer Service Section at (800) 777-9229.