Mental Health Support

To recover from a violent crime, you may need counseling. CalVCB can help.

On this page:

Why mental health is important

Mental health includes your emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It impacts many facets of your daily life. It affects how you handle situations that impact you and others.

Warning signs of mental issues include:

  • A change in sleep habits
  • A change in energy levels
  • Isolation and a feeling of hopelessness

How CalVCB can help

A victim of crime having mental health issues can get counseling paid for by CalVCB.

  • Your counselor is required to complete a Treatment Plan. They must do this at the beginning of treatment and keep it on file.
  • Most victims can get up to 40 counseling sessions, but that can vary. If your therapist thinks you need more, they must submit an Additional Treatment Plan. CalVCB may then allow a few more sessions. See session guidelines.
  • CalVCB can compensate for mental health treatment outside California (as of January 1, 2023). The provider must be licensed in the same state that you live. 

Read more about what CalVCB pays for on the Mental Health Reimbursement page.

Providers: See requirements for payment on the Mental Health Service Providers page.

Who you can meet with

An eligible victim may get counseling from a:

  • Licensed psychiatrist
    • They must have a medical license, and
      • Have completed a residency in psychiatry, or
      • Are certified in psychiatry by the American Board of Medical Specialists (ABMS)
  • Licensed psychologist (PhD)
  • Licensed clinical social worker (LCSW)
  • Marriage family therapist (MFT)
  • Registered psychologist (registered with Board of Psychology)
  • Psychological assistant
  • Licensed professional clinical counselor (LPCC)
  • Associate professional clinical counselor (APCC)
  • Associate social worker (ASW)
  • Associate marriage and family therapist (AMFT)
  • Peer counselor (but only for rape crisis counseling)
  • Psychiatric mental health nurse
  • Clinical nurse specialist
  • Psychology associate

Hotlines and online help

Exit site