Mental Health Service Providers

Important Updates to Mental Health Services

CalVCB has increased mental health provider rates and revised document submission requirements, effective Dec. 15, 2022. If you missed either of those communications, you can download them below.

Download the Provider Announcement

Download the Provider Reminder

Download the 2022 Mental Health Guidelines FAQs

Requirements for out-of-state provider reimbursement

Senate Bill 877, effective Jan. 1, 2023, allows CalVCB to compensate crime victims for mental health treatment outside California, if the provider is licensed in the same state in which the victim lives. To view the out-of-state provider policy, please visit our Reimbursement Page.

Authorized Mental Health Providers

The following mental health providers licensed in California are eligible to provide services to CalVCB claimants pursuant to Cal. Code of Regs., tit. 2, § 649.29.

  • Licensed Psychiatrist—must have a medical license and must have:
    • completed their residency in psychiatry; or
    • be certified in field of psychiatry with the American Board of Medical Specialists (ABMS)
  • Licensed Psychologist (PhD)
  • Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
  • Marriage Family Therapist (MFT)
  • Registered Psychologist (Registered with Board of Psychology)
  • Psychological Assistant
  • Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
  • Associate Professional Clinical Counselor (APCC)
  • Associate Social Worker (ASW)
  • Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (AMFT)
  • Peer Counselor (only for rape crisis counseling)
  • Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse
  • Clinical Nurse Specialist
  • Psychology Associate*

*CalVCB may pay for services provided by associates if the associates are registered, and if the supervising licensed mental health professional bills those services. Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 2, 649.29 for details on qualification requirements.
Refer to CalVCB billing procedures for mental health services for direction on how to complete the HCFA 1500 form when an associate provides services. Contact your licensing board for information.
Psychology associates who are working in a university hospital or university medical school clinic qualify for registration exceptions. Refer to CCR 649.29j and Business and Professional Code 2900.

How to Become a Mental Health Service Provider

A provider must become an authorized provider before CalVCB can pay any bills.

To become authorized:

  • Submit a completed W-9. Information must be an exact match to IRS records. At the end of the year CalVCB will send a 1099 to any authorized provider who has received payment over $600.
  • Submit your W9 through our Online Access portal for providers, or mail to: CalVCB, P.O. Box 3036, Sacramento, CA 95812-3036.

Any mental health service provider licensed in California can serve victims who are claimants with CalVCB, pursuant to Government Code section 13957 subdivision (a)(2) and California Code of Regulations section 649.29.

Do not submit any bills for reimbursement until you are an authorized provider with CalVCB. You will be sent a new provider packet once you request to be authorized. CalVCB does not provide a list of service providers to claimants; however, some Victim Witness Centers maintain referral lists they give to victims.

Exit site