Complementary and Alternative Medicines (CAM) include a variety of non-medical treatment modalities that fall outside the general definition of traditional medicine. CAM treatments include:
- Chinese medicine
- Chiropractic treatment
- Holistic medicine
- Massage therapy
- Music therapy
- Naturopathic medicine
- Other natural healing methods
CalVCB allows a combined five CAM sessions per direct victim application. Once a direct victim reaches five sessions, CalVCB may approve an additional 15 sessions with written documentation from a licensed medical or mental health provider.
- Complete the Complementary and Alternative Medicines Verification Form
- A written recommendation on the provider’s business letterhead or prescription pad. Must Include:
- Provider’s name
- Telephone number
- Business address
- License number and expiration date
- Number of CAM sessions recommended beyond the first five sessions
- Justification for the additional CAM sessions
A request for 15 additional CAM sessions does not automatically authorize those sessions. The verification must establish the treatment if it’s for crime-related injuries. CalVCB may hold a claimant financially liable for any unapproved CAM sessions.
CAM providers-reimbursed at Medicare rates (when applicable.)
In accordance with CalVCB policy, if a licensed mental health provider utilizes biofeedback, hypnotherapy or music therapy, CalVCB will reimburse them at mental health provider rates, based on licensure and subject to mental health benefit session limits.
P.O. Box 3036
Sacramento, CA 95812-3036
Customer Service at