Complementary and Alternative Medicines (CAM) include a variety of non-medical treatment modalities that fall outside the general definition of traditional medicine. CAM treatments include:
- Chinese medicine
- Chiropractic treatment
- Holistic medicine
- Massage therapy
- Music therapy
- Naturopathic medicine
- Other natural healing methods
CalVCB allows a combined five CAM sessions per direct victim application. Once a direct victim reaches five sessions, CalVCB may approve an additional 15 sessions with written documentation from a licensed medical or mental health provider.
- Complete the Complementary and Alternative Medicines Verification Form
- A written recommendation on the provider’s business letterhead or prescription pad. Must Include:
- Provider’s name
- Telephone number
- Business address
- License number and expiration date
- Number of CAM sessions recommended beyond the first five sessions
- Justification for the additional CAM sessions
A request for 15 additional CAM sessions does not automatically authorize those sessions. The verification must establish the treatment if it’s for crime-related injuries. CalVCB may hold a claimant financially liable for any unapproved CAM sessions.
CAM providers-reimbursed at Medicare rates (when applicable.)
In accordance with CalVCB policy, if a licensed mental health provider utilizes biofeedback, hypnotherapy or music therapy, CalVCB will reimburse them at mental health provider rates, based on licensure and subject to mental health benefit session limits.