The California Victim Compensation Board

For Victims of Mass Violence Events

The California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) can help pay bills and expenses that result from violent crime. Victims of crime who have been injured or have been threatened with injury may be eligible for help.

CalVCB Helpline: 1-800-777-9229 (Phone) | 1-866-902-8669 (Fax)

For victim assistance in your area, find your local Victim Witness Assistance Center.

Esta página en Español »

Who Qualifies for Victim Compensation?

CalVCB can help victims of crimes such as:

  • Assault with a deadly weapon
  • Battery (when there is injury or threat of injury)
  • Child abuse
  • Child sexual assault
  • Child endangerment and abandonment
  • Domestic violence
  • Driving under the influence
  • Elder Abuse
  • Hate Crimes
  • Homicide
  • Human Trafficking
  • Hit and run
  • Vehicular manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Robbery
  • Sexual assault
  • Stalking
  • Sexual battery
  • Unlawful sexual intercourse (where there is injury or threat of injury)
  • Terrorism
  • Online Harassment
  • Other crimes that result in physical injury or a threat of physical injury to the victim

Minors who suffer emotional injuries as a result of witnessing a violent crime may be eligible for up to $5,000.00 for mental health counseling through CalVCB.

CalVCB can help victims of crimes that occur in California as well as California residents who become victims while visiting other states or outside the country.

Additionally, people who suffer a monetary loss because of death or injury to a crime victim may also be eligible for compensation. These victims can include:

  • Spouses or Domestic Partners
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Legal Guardians
  • Brothers
  • Sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren

To learn more, see our Eligibility page.

What Expenses Can CalVCB Help Pay?

CalVCB may help pay for expenses related to a crime such as:

  • Medical and dental treatment
  • Mental health services
  • Income loss
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Loss of support for dependents when a victim is killed or disabled because of a crime
  • Home or vehicle modifications
  • Home security
  • Relocation
  • Crime scene cleanup

CalVCB cannot pay for any expense not related to the crime, any expenses paid by insurance or another source of reimbursement or coverage, expenses for lost, stolen or damaged property, or damages for pain and suffering.

There are limits on how much can be paid for each loss.

CalVCB cannot pay any expenses incurred while a person is on parole, probation or post-release community supervision for a violent felony; incarcerated or required to register as a sex offender. This does not affect an application’s eligibility. It instead stops payment for expenses that are incurred during incarceration and felon or registered sex offender status.

To learn more, see our Covered Expenses page.

How Do I Apply for Compensation?

There are four ways to apply:

When Submitting an Application, Remember:

  • Include copies of available crime reports, bills, receipts and supporting documentation with the application.
  • Send copies of bills to the insurance company, workers' compensation carrier, or Medi-Cal right away. CalVCB will correspond with such providers as needed to verify benefits and coordinate payment of bills.

To apply, see our How to Apply page.

For Service Providers

If you provide services to crime victims, see our Provider section.

For Victim Advocates

If you are a victim advocate, see our Advocate section.

About Victims' Rights

Crime victims have a right to restitution and many other rights under Marsy's Law.

Read the CalVCB Connection Blog

Banner with swirls of color, CalVCB logo, and text: CalVCB Connection: A Compilation of Perspectives & Information for the Victim Services Community. 800.777.9229.