How to Apply for Victim Compensation

Esta página en Español »

The California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) can help victims of violent crimes that occur in California as well as California residents who become victims while visiting other states or outside the country. Additionally, people such as family members who need assistance because of death or injury to a crime victim may also be eligible for compensation. For more information, visit the CalVCB page.

Get Help from a Victim Advocate

A victim advocate walks alongside a victim.
How Do Advocates Help?

Find an Advocate

An advocate from your local Victim Witness Assistance Program can help you fill out your application and personally guide you through the victim compensation process. Victim advocates can also:

Victim advocates provide their services for free.

Complete Your Own Application

Download CalVCB Application
Privacy Notice on Collection

Each person seeking assistance must complete a separate application.

Additional forms and/or verification documents may be required, including when requesting an emergency award, relocation assistance or compensation for income loss.

Eligibility of all applications and payment of every bill is subject to legal requirements and review by CalVCB.

Fill Out Your Application on Your Computer

  1. Open the application.
  2. Enter your information.
  3. Save a copy to your computer by selecting File > Save.
  4. Print a copy, sign it and date it.
  5. Send your application to the address below.

Fill Out Your Application by Hand

  1. Open the application.
  2. Print a copy.
  3. Enter your information, sign it and date it.
  4. Send your application to the address below.

Other Non-English Applications

The completed application must be signed and dated where indicated and mailed to:

California Victim Compensation Board
P.O. Box 3036
Sacramento, CA 95812-3036

To protect your privacy, do not transmit applications or other confidential CalVCB information via e-mail.

Get Your Claim Processed Faster

If you need assistance with your application, don't have a printer and need an application mailed to you, or have questions regarding victim compensation, please contact your local county Victim Witness Assistance Program or call our Helpline toll free at 1-800-777-9229.

These application forms are in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). To use the PDF files you need Adobe Reader version 6 or later. If you don't already have free Adobe Reader software, you can download Adobe's Acrobat Reader.